Here is all you need to know to get started with car2go!
PROMOTIONAL MINUTES: All minutes are valid for 45 days in the city they were issued. Once expired, minutes cannot be reloaded so be sure to use them!
HOW TO CAR2GO
Here’s 4 easy steps to get going around the city. For a video overview on these steps, click here
- FIND YOUR CAR2GO
To find the nearest car2go, you can:
- Use the Official car2go application on your Smartphone,
- Use Car Finder at car2go.com ,
- Just grab one off the street and jump in.
Reservations are not required but can be made up to 30 min in advance using the app or website.
There is no charge to reserve a car or to cancel the reservation. If you have a car reserved, and happen to come across one that is closer, you can scan into that car, and it will cancel the reservation on the other car for you. If you do not make it to your reservation within 30 min it will expire and you will NOT be able to re-book the same car.
- ACCESS YOUR CAR2GO
Quickly inspect your car2go for damage.
Hold your member card up to the card reader on the windshield to unlock the vehicle
Access the vehicle using your Smartphone application .
The new car2go app has a new design and a new function: After the update, the app will be even more intuitive and you will need one less card in your wallet. Because your smartphone will now do the job that the membership card has done up to now.
New design – same functions
- Find your car2go as usual from the updated map and reserve it free of charge.
- A reserved car2go is displayed with an orange-coloured clock – at the top right you can see the remaining minutes of the rental.
- Using the main menu at the top left, you can also view the details of your previous rentals – with the starting point and the destination, driving and parking times, and also the price of the journey.
car2go rental in 5 steps:
If you wish to open a car2go in the future, you won’t need your membership card as previously; your smartphone alone will suffice:
- Select car2go and reserve in advance free of charge if desired.
- Then click “Start rental” directly on the app. ONLY do this when you are at the vehicle as the trip will be ended after 30 seconds if you do not enter it.
- Confirm the general terms and conditions if you have not already done so – for example when registering.
- The car2go opens and your rental begins.
- Check the vehicle for any damage as usual, then enter your PIN on the touchscreen, and follow the other steps.
Ending a car2go rental in 5 steps:
To make ending the rental even easier for you, your rental will now end automatically.
1. Insert the key and the cards in the slots provided.
2. Close the windows, switch off the lights and get out of the vehicle.
3. After you have closed all the doors and the boot, the fifteen-second countdown commences. This is displayed on the touchscreen in the vehicle and in the card reader behind the windscreen.
4. If you open the car2go during the countdown, the countdown stops and the rental continues.
5. After the countdown has finished, the car2go locks automatically. Your rental ends automatically. To ensure you trip has been completed you will see the words “Trip Completed” on the card reader.
MEMBERCARD OR SMARTPHONE
If you have grown to like using your membership card, you can of course continue to use it. You can continue to open and close your car2go with your membership card as well as open it with your smartphone.
In order to use the current version of the app, you will need a smartphone with iOS7, Android 4.0 or higher and mobile internet access. Download the app now or update the current version.
While inside, you will find the key next to the touchscreen.
Before you can drive, you will need to enter your 4-digit PIN on the touchscreen. Answer a few quick questions such as cleanliness of vehicle and report damage at that time.*
*If the vehicle is operational, you can report damage faster by emailing us through the app, emailing [email protected], OR call 1.855.454.1002 on your cell phone and leave a voice mail with the license plate of the car, damage you see, and your name and phone number.
You can drive up to 200 km away from Vancouver (in BC only)*. Flat rates include gas, insurance, parking, and mileage up to 200 km per trip. With pay as you go driving, your credit card is billed the day you drive.
*Any mileage greater than 200 km during a trip is billed at $0.45/km
There is no mandatory return time or location. Since one-way trips are allowed, just leave the car2go in any Authorized Parking Location within the Home Area (see below for details).
When done, turn off the ignition and press “End Trip” on the touchscreen.
You can then put the key back in the holder and exit the vehicle.
Before walking away, place your member card on the card reader and watch for a few seconds until the reader says “Trip completed.”
WHERE TO PARK
ONLY END YOUR TRIP IN AUTHORIZED PARKING LOCATIONS
When finished, you may leave your car2go in any Authorized Parking Location within the Home Area. Authorized parking locations include:
- Any designated car2go parking location (see GPS or car2go.com for specially marked car2go on-street parking and parkades)
- Areas with City signs reading “No Parking Except with Permit” or “Resident Only Parking”
- Areas with no City signage/restrictions
For a full list of parking rules, click here .
For Richmond and Airport Parking click here .
WHERE SHOULD I AVOID PARKING WHEN ENDING MY TRIP?
When parking, there are specific areas to avoid. Do NOT end your trip in any of the following areas:
- Parking meters
- Time restricted areas and/or commuter lanes
- Private parking lots (unless car2go authorized)
- Underground parkades
- Private property (unless car2go authorized)
- Commercial zones
- Loading zones
- Valet/taxi/bus zones
- Disabled drivers parking spots
- Reserved parking spaces (that are NOT car2go)
When parking, do NOT park:
- Reverse angled (unless directed to by the parking signage)
There’s no need to do so, but if you do we post 20 free minutes to your account when you refill a car that is 25% or below.
The car2go gas cards have built in security features. Here are some tips to help get you on your way:
- Pay at pump only with the credit card located above the touchscreen
- Select “Get Gas” on the touchscreen to reveal the Driver Number & Odometer
- Enter driver number & odometer if asked
- Do not select Fill. Instead select $50
- Select premium fuel (Octane 91)
- Receive 20 min as a thank you!
There is a security feature on the fuel card that only allows them to be swiped once in a 24-hour period. This means if you park the car to get gas and authorize the card, but then realize the gas door is on the other side, you will not be able to successfully turn the car around and swipe the card again. This is to prevent abuse of the fuel card.
Minutes are automatically credited to your account by the system for use on your next drive.
For a video overview on refueling, click here .
To open the trunk, just press unlock twice on your key. Then go to the trunk and firmly press the button located above the license plate. This opens up the rear window. Pull the window up and release the tabs on the right and left side of the tailgate. It’s now ready for loading.
For a brief video on operating the trunk, click here .
The car2go insurance provides to qualifying members (and other car2go authorized drivers) insurance as follows:
- Third party liability insurance coverage for bodily injury and property damage to a maximum limit of $5,000,000;
- Basic no-fault benefits if the applicable state or province has adopted a no-fault statute;
- Uninsured motorist bodily injury coverage with a coverage limit defined by the laws of any applicable state or province.
If ICBC determines that a member is at fault for an accident, then the member will be responsible for:
- A deductible of up to $1,000 (maximum) if any accident occurs or damage is suffered by reason of the fault of the member (or other driver of the vehicle);
- Fault for any accident or damage that cannot be determined; or
- Damages for any accident or loss that cannot be recovered from a third party.
- Never let another person drive using your member card.
- Insurance documents are located in the compartment built into the trunk door.
- There is currently no additional liability waiver available for purchase
USING MEMBER CARD IN OTHER CITIES:
If you have an account in Vancouver, you can use it in our other North American car2go cities (Calgary, Toronto, Montreal, Austin, Columbus, Denver, Los Angeles, Miami, Minneapolis-St Paul, Brooklyn, Portland, San Diego, Seattle, Washington DC). When visiting, always check that city’s Home Area, parking pules, trip rates, and tax rates before you drive there at www.car2go.com . All cities parking rules are available .
Please be aware that your promotional minutes are only good for the city in which they were issued.
Should you need more information, please visit our general FAQ .
If you have any questions or suggestions please email us at or post a comment below.